Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home Run - Chapter 4
25-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Home Run - Chapter 4
Thanks for still reading and to JHyde, once again, for her help. One naughty word in this chapter.

Chapter 4

Harry is now on his way back to the Grid. There have been times, over the last few days, when he thought he would never set foot inside that place again. It is getting dark and the lack of sleep is catching up with him rapidly; he finds himself fighting to keep his eyelids from closing.

Ros is driving, with Lucas next to her in the front passenger seat. Watching Ros glance at him in the rear view mirror every few minutes, Harry knows she is concerned about him. They have an understanding, Ros and him. Feelings don’t always have to be vocalised but the pair are still close. The closeness had grown slowly, after Ruth had left. Nothing, not even Ros’ adventure with Yalta, had broken the strong bond that had formed between them.

Ros and Lucas have taken Harry to hospital, to get checked over by a doctor and have his damaged arm examined. The deep wound in his wrist just wouldn't stop bleeding. Harry has no recollection as to how that wound got there in the first place, and assumes he had fallen badly when Mani’s thugs had laid into him in the warehouse. Luckily for him, and also for Ros and Lucas, the Security Service got priority treatment on the NHS and Harry was in and out of hospital within an hour.

Sitting in the car now, Harry feels some regret as to the way he treated Ros and Lucas earlier. He had first rowed with them both at the warehouse when they had insisted he go to hospital and he had also sworn at them in front of other junior officers.

“You’re too pig headed for your own good, Harry! You’re not Superman!” Lucas' shouting echoes now in his head.

Harry knew he needed to be seen by a doctor but he somehow didn’t feel that he was worth treating, that he wasn’t worth someone’s effort to make better. I will remain as I am with my wounds, I deserve it.

When they had arrived at St. James’ A&E department, Lucas had quickly taken hold of Harry’s good arm and pulled him from the car, before he could object. A big row had then ensued in the public car park, until Harry begrudgingly relented some minutes later and entered the building. Harry knew he could be an ungrateful bastard sometimes. Well, most of the time, but he was struggling to cope with this one. Ros could see it and so could Lucas, which is why they let him get it out of his system, away from the other members of the Grid. Even if that meant him turning his anger on them for a while.

Now they are back in the car, on their way to the Grid. All is quiet and the tense atmosphere between them eases. Pulling the Lexus into the underground car park at Thames House, Ros starts to search for a parking space. She needs to speak to Harry before they go inside.

“Harry, the DG wants you debriefed as soon as you get back. I tried to tell him that you hadn’t slept for days but he was having any of it. Considerate boss you have there.”

Harry senses that Ros is smiling even though he can only see the back of her head.

Ros continues, “Jo’s gone to your house. She should be back soon. I told her to pick up a few things for you. Get you some clean clothes. She has taken the spare keys from your desk. I hope that was OK?”

“Yes, yes. Thank you Ros. I didn’t think. I must look a sight,” says Harry, wearily. A full on debriefing was the last thing in the world he needed at this moment.

“Well, if you walk onto the Grid looking like that, covered in grime and blood, you may just scare some of our junior officers. You know how delicate they are nowadays, Harry.”

At last Harry allows himself the luxury of a small smile. He knows Ros is trying to help in her own way and he realises, reluctantly, that he desperately needs it.

Tentatively, Jo enters the code for the alarm on the keypad in Harry’s hallway. She breathes a sigh of relief when it is accepted and the green light on the pad stops flashing. The last thing she needs (or Harry needs for that matter) is half of CO19 crashing through the windows and doors of Harry’s house again.

Jo has never been to the house before and needed her Sat Nav to find the place. In fact, she didn’t think any of the team had, even though Harry had lived there for a number of years now. It was a Home Office property, and Harry rented it back from them at a nominal rate. Even on his salary Harry cannot afford central London prices.

Tasked to get Harry some clean clothes, Jo is unable to hide her displeasure at her latest assignment and is stomping round the hallway. Ros and Lucas out playing the Lone Ranger and Tonto and here I am, left on the Grid, directing traffic and running errands…again!

Earlier when Jo had tried to protest, Ros had put her firmly in her place. “Do you really think Harry would want a junior officer he doesn’t know, rummaging through his house, Jo?” You couldn’t argue with Ros. Jo had realised that years ago. That road led to ruin.

Under the wooden coat rack in the hallway, there is a black holdall. It appears empty so Jo picks it up and starts to make her way to the stairs, in search of Harry’s bedroom. Suddenly, she is aware of a faint whining and scratching noise coming from what she assumes is the kitchen. The door is closed and instinctively she puts her right hand on her holstered sidearm as she approaches. Just in case. She pushes the door lightly and it opens.

“Heck.” She curses herself and the other members of the team. It’s Harry’s dog. It was trapped in the kitchen. With everything that had been going on over the last couple of days, they have completely forgotten about his dog. The little Jack Russell immediately jumps up, desperate for attention and Jo pats her back enthusiastically.

“Poor girl. Lets get you some food, yes. Come on.”

Jo finds the key to the back door in a kitchen drawer and lets the little dog into the garden. Jo stands watching for a moment, amused as the canine runs down the steps onto the lawn, tail wagging, barking wildly. Then she starts to attack some bedding plants.

Trust Harry to have a lunatic dog, thinks Jo.

It’s then that Jo notices the wicker dog basket next to the back door, and the soft fleece that is covering it, giving the dog some comfort and warmth. It’s bright red and has the name Scarlet stitched into the corner.

“Bless,” says Jo out loud, realising Harry must have had that made for her. “He does love his dog.”

At the fourth attempt, Jo finds the right cupboard in the kitchen which houses the dog food. She fills Scarlet’s bowl to the brim and replaces her water. Jo assumes Harry will be back sometime tonight, but just to be sure, she leaves enough provisions that will see Scarlet through another twenty four hours of solitude.

Scarlet, having smelt the food, bounds back up the steps into the kitchen. Jo is relieved she won’t have to go running round the garden, trying to catch a crazy Jack Russell. She was sure Harry’s neighbours have had enough excitement this week.

Closing the kitchen door quietly behind her, Jo makes her way up the stairs to the first floor. There she finds two bedrooms but these are unoccupied and bare, apart from unmade beds and dressers. Walking up to the second floor of the town house Jo finds two rooms. One appears to be an office and the other a bedroom. The door slightly ajar, Jo can see clothes hanging on the outside of a wardrobe.

Walking in she places the holdall on the double bed. Yes it’s definitely Harry’s room. She can still smell his Penhaligon’s aftershave in the air and there is one of his black suits hanging on the wardrobe, with a dry cleaning label still attached. She takes the suit, removes the label and folds it carefully to take with her.

Next, Jo opens Harry’s wardrobe and takes one of the dozen, seemingly identical, white shirts that are hanging there, pristinely ironed. Jo smiles. You can tell a man who used to be in the military.

She grabs one of his ties which is hanging from a rack on the inside of the wardrobe door, not really caring which one. Then she turns her attention to the set of drawers under the window. Pausing for a moment though, she is unsure of her next move.

Harry will need some underwear. Come on Jo, stop being so pathetic, she says to herself.

She takes a deep breath.

If Harry can stand being tortured by the Russians and the Indians, the very least I can cope with, is putting my hands on a pair of his boxers.

Quickly she grabs a pair of blue boxer shorts from the top drawer and a pair of black socks. She then turns back to the bed, relieved, and packs everything neatly into the holdall.

As Jo leaves the bedroom, her head turns towards the study. She can see through the doorway that the room is a mess. Papers and folders litter the floor and desk top and a desk drawer has been pulled out and discarded haphazardly in the middle of the room. This must have been the work of Dolby and Internal Security thinks Jo, when they came to arrest Harry a few days ago. Harry clearly had not been home long enough, after his release, to clean up the mess.

The thought of Harry having come home to this, angers Jo as she steps into the study to get a closer look. Harry would have known his personal effects would be subject to scrutiny, but he would not have expected them to be treated with such disrespect, thinks Jo.

Jo goes to pick up the desk drawer, to return it to its proper place, when something in there catches her eye. It’s half covered by newspaper clippings which Jo pushes to one side. It is a beautiful silver antique photo frame and is the only photograph Jo has seen in Harry’s house. There were none in the bedrooms or on the walls. Jo knows she shouldn’t, but curiosity gets the better of her and she takes out the photo frame.

It is a black and white photograph of Ruth. Just of the shoulders and head. How long has he had this? She thought. It looks like one of the Service’s official joining photos. Harry must have taken it from Ruth’s file.

Jo puts the photo frame back gently. It is obviously not meant to be seen, especially by someone else from the Service. Smiling sadly, Jo abandons her attempt to tidy the room, grabs the holdall, and leaves.

Harry had taken the photo from Ruth’s file, the day after she had left all those years ago. The frame he had taken from Ruth’s house, replacing the photograph of what Harry assumed was Ruth’s father, with the photograph of Ruth. It was the only photo he had of her. The only photo he thought he was ever likely to have.

Harry had kept the photograph of Ruth’s father safe, along with the photograph of Ruth, in his desk drawer. He didn’t know why but felt it should be close to Ruth. And every night of those three long years, before Harry went to sleep, he took out the photo frame, wished Ruth good night and moved two fingers to his lips, and then gently touched her photo.

TBC

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2010, 06:04 PM
RE: Home Run - Chapter 4
Great chapter, TL. Loved Harry trying to be all stoic and refusing medical treatment, also liked how you've developed the Harry/Ros relationship as well. My favourite part was poor Jo rooting through Harry's drawers Smile Loved the thought of Harry saying goodnight to Ruth's photo every night for 3 years, so sad.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
25-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! That last line is lovely. Its the dichotomy of Harry's personality that is so attractive. You have illustrated this perfectly between his pig-headed refusal to get treatment and kissing Ruth's picture every night.

Ros' little joke about the delicateness of the junior officers is spot on tone wise.

Thanks for letting us into Harry's bedroom. You have clearly thought about this a lot. I'd like to hear more of why it is definitely Harry's bedroom. Silba

BTW, I check Fan Fic every day to see if you have put another chapter up.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
25-06-2010, 08:19 PM
That was lovely Tea Lady Smile

Loved Jo's almost cringe at having to touch Harry's underwear, the understated but completely perfect sentiment of the picture of Ruth, and the hints of Ros and Lucas' relationship Smile

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Loved Jo not wanting Harry to come back to the mess that was made of his house and finding poor Scarlet trapped in the kitchen. And her talking herself into reaching into his underwear drawer was priceless! As is the image of his touch-kissing Ruth's photo "goodnight" for three years. Great chapter, TL!

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
25-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys for your lovely comments. Scarlet had obviously been well trained by Harry as she had kept her little legs crossed for a few days Smile Could you imagine the mess in reality? She probably would have eaten through the kitchen door as well.

As for Harry's boxer shorts, I always imagine him wearing blue for some reason...not that I imagine this very often, being a married woman of course *coughs*

I also imagine Harrys bedroom to be neat and tidy, like the rest of his house as he is never really there to make a mess of it.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
26-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice chapter, loved that Harry kept Ruth's picture with her father's one, that's so endearing Heart

I agree with Harry's bedroom being tidy, he doesn't have the time plus he seems a very organised kind of person. Love the boxer shorts part Silba

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
26-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I loved the Scarlet part - as owner of three hyperactive Jack Russells myself I found it very accurate! Also agree that Harry would be neat, and that the Army influence would still be there. And awww for him keeping Ruth's father's photo as well.

Still waiting patiently for Ruth to call Harry...

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]