Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 04-04-2010 09:00 AM

I agree with your comments about Harry being one of the best things about spooks, though I don't agree with your comments about Ruth, but each to their own. IMO Harry is too important a character for Kudos to kill off, though I can't see him retiring and setting up a private agency as he is too much of a public servant.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 04-04-2010 09:16 AM

Ah, but what do retired public servants do? They become consultants to the people they used to work for...but at a much higher rate of pay!! They're also not bound by the same rules...so a lot of potential for Harry to bend them even more than he does now...

I just watched 6.2 again. Love Harry in that navy shirt with his sleeves rolled up!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 04-04-2010 10:33 AM

Oh dear, keep your head down picard1109 when Beatriz reads that "annoying wimp" comment about Ruthy babes. Smile Anyway, back to Harry I dont think he will be killed off unless of course the actor wants to leave the series. It makes no sense for Kudos to kill off Harry otherwise. The series will die as has been said before by many people here. Harry still has a major part to play in storylines with both younger and older characters. He can fight the good fight, fair or dirty. The viewers are not yet bored of that. I do believe that we have at least two more series of Spooks to come, evidenced by the high number and quality of actors recently employed, and I believe that Harry will be in Spooks right up to the end. It makes no sense for him not to be. There are still storylines a plenty that could involve Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Beatriz - 04-04-2010 11:38 AM

I'm ok, just breathing, it's good to have different opinions here, it will be boring if not Smile You can tell us your opinions about Ruth in her thread or in the Harry and Ruth one; different points of view are good Smile

BTW, welcome to the forum picard1109, you can introduce yourself in the New Personnel subforum, if you like Smile

I agree with Tea Lady, I can't see Harry out of the show unless PF wants to leave (I hope not!!!); he still has a great role to play with many different characters in the show. And I can't see him retiring to set up his own bussiness... Maybe he could retire to a cottage, after Spooks finishes of course Wink

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Skully - 04-04-2010 12:04 PM

Agreed, I don't think Harry would leave the grid unless Peter Firth wanted to move on. PF has said how much Harry is similar to his temperament, so obviously he is making the most of playing the role of the life time for as long as he can. The constant flood of new characters means that Harry always has new personnel to establish (or reestablish) relationships with, which I imagine would continue to make playing Harry an interesting challenge when there's always something new to explore.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 04-04-2010 04:23 PM

Yeah, I agree that they're unlikely to kill off Harry unless PF wants to leave. From what he's said in interviews he loves playing Harry so is likely to stick around. Furthermore, we know from DVD extras that he loves working with Nicola Walker, so he is unlikely to walk away just when she is back.

What did you all think of Harry in 3.2? I thought it illustrated perfectly that Harry's biggest strength - his ability to divorce the emotional from the spying work - is sometimes also his biggest weakness. The fact that Harry himself believes that safeguarding the country is worth any personal cost, sometimes blinds him to the fact that other people look at it differently. In this episode he did it first with Fred, where it seemed incomprehensible to him that someone would not want to serve their country, and then with Tom, where he didn't seem to notice how much Tom was struggling to live with the emotional cost of the job.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 04-04-2010 05:41 PM

Harry in 3.2 is not the Harry you get now. I couldnt see Harry acting so flippantly today regarding an asset where you were putting him and his family in harms way. I wonder with regards to Tom, whether Harry had already made his mind up that he was a lost cause and that there was nothing Harry could do to make him turn back on the road he had started, hence bringing Adam in. I did notice though in the scene where Harry is with Zoe in his office, after Harry says "go live your life" and she says thanks, the camera stays on Harry and it sounds like he makes a little sighing noise, unless it was my tinnitus playing up again.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 04-04-2010 08:13 PM

Oops - didn't mean to touch a raw nerve, Beatriz...apologies.Undecided

And I'm very glad that opinion seems to be that Harry won't be exiting stage left!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Beatriz - 04-04-2010 09:22 PM

Don't worry picard1109! I was just kidding, you can express your opinion here (I'm a big fan of Ruth, it's just that Wink)

I think Harry knew Tom wasn't at his best, and was unstable emotionally. According to Harry's diary this op is two months and a half after Tom's set-up was solved, I'm not sure he was ready to lead an op. However Harry put him in charge...

I didn't notice that sigh, I will watch that part again to hear it Smile

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 04-04-2010 10:47 PM

TL and Silktie -- I think Harry realized that Tom wasn't going to be able to go on being a spook because, as Ruth alluded, his "conscience exploded." Tom was no good to MI5 in that condition and the best thing Harry could have done for him was to decommission him, "Good luck in the real world." I think maybe Harry really did envy Tom -- Tom got out alive and in one piece, generally speaking.