Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What music are you into?
27-02-2010, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2010 11:58 AM by JHyde.)
RE: What music are you into?
Fidget, Maggie, Sirena and several others are all Aussies, but they come and go. I'm sort of the token
Australian on the forum.

10-1 is a fantastic album. Learning to love Midnight Oil was one of the better things that came out of my first major relationship although they broke up not long before the relationship did! I was lucky enough to see them play live twice in early 2005, once at Manly Leagues and once at Wave Aid the next day. They were terrific. I recently met Jim Moginie through his son and that was kind of awesome, although my friends couldn't figure out why I was suddenly so quiet. And Rob Hirst is a spunk and an AMAZING drummer, and I'd totally go for him, even if he is about my dad's age. But he's married and I respect that Smile

Both of them recently took part in helping to make a great record from a guy from Melbourne called Whitley. His record 'Go Forth, Find Mammoth' was one of last year's best, I think, I love listening to it to do all sorts of things. He's very young, but his music has a real lingering wisdom to it.

The last few albums the Seeds have out are brilliant. Nocturama, The Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues and last year's Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! are all superb and well worth buying. I like all of Kuepper's stuff since the 80s, but my fave of his stuff is probably Character Assassination, his ARIA winning album.

Nick Cave and Ed Kuepper are stellar songwriters, probably two of my favourites ever. So I can't wait to see what they come up with. Especially given how prolific they are, it's incredible how good the bulk of it is. Nick Cave is one of those rare, brilliant people. The word genius gets bandied about a lot but he really might be one, I think.

OK, I'll shut up now. I could seriously talk about my favourite musicians for far longer than I talk about spooks, and that's saying something.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2010, 01:40 PM
You lucky bugger seeing the Manly warm up gig! I think I might have a bootleg recording of that somewhere. Yeah, Rob Hirst is amazing. I've seen the Oils about twice. First time was in 1990 something. When Garrett hit stage and started doin' his moves I burst out laughing, thought he was the funniest thing ever! Jim Moginie... cool!

I could probably talk about music more than spooks too. I'm actually more a music person than a TV person. Spooks (and Dr Who) are the exception to the rule.

Fantragic fun - SpooksFanBlog.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2010, 02:10 PM
People on here are sick of hearing about it, but I'm seeing Dirty Projectors in two weeks and am so excited. I love live music, and missed several of my fave bands these last few months trying to scratch money together. I can't imagine what life is like without music.

Good choices on the TV shows though. We have a special Doctor Who thread elsewhere in the break room.

27-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Anyone heard of "The XX"? Check them out if not, "Islands" is a brilliant track.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
27-02-2010, 11:06 PM
(27-02-2010 02:10 PM)JHyde Wrote:  People on here are sick of hearing about it, but I'm seeing Dirty Projectors in two weeks and am so excited. I love live music, and missed several of my fave bands these last few months trying to scratch money together. I can't imagine what life is like without music.

The Dirty Projectors? Don't think I've heard of them... I'm afraid I don't keep up with the new stuff much these days... too preoccupied with my PhD! I do rather love Die! Die! Die! from New Zealand though, their debut was the best record I'd heard in years.

I am seeing the Pixies soon though. Seeing live bands is so expensive these days.. I recently had to sell my Faith No More ticket to help pay to fix my car Sad

Fantragic fun - SpooksFanBlog.com
01-03-2010, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2010 06:14 AM by phoenix.)
As far as bands go, my absolute favorites are Coldplay, Oasis, and Depeche Mode. Though, to be quite honest, I should say Noel Gallagher instead of Oasis since if I had to choose between listening to an Oasis track or Noel's version of it, I'd listen to Noel. I also like Dido, Lily Allen, Sia, She Wants Revenge, and VAST.

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to film and tv scores. Among my favorite composers are Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, Rachel Portman, Clint Mansell, and James Horner. Some of my favorite soundtracks are Pirates of the Caribbean [all three - Hans Zimmer], Amélie [Yann Tiersen], the Fountain [Clint Mansell], Spy Game [Harry Gregson-Williams].

Off the Spooks Series 5&6 soundtrack, my favorite song is 'Hanging Colin'. It sounds morbid, I know, but it really is a beautiful track and they used it for more than just that scene in series 5. Incidentally, in the last episode in series 2, at the very end, they used a track from the Spy Game soundtrack.

It all comes full circle. ;]

"do not underestimate them. they are many things but above all they are poets, for whom love and hate are worth dying for."
01-03-2010, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2010 11:16 AM by fanofChristine.)
(01-03-2010 06:14 AM)phoenix Wrote:  in series 2, at the very end, they used a track from the Spy Game soundtrack.

"Operation Dinner Out", right? I loved it! (or was it "Beirut, a War Zone"?)

"I think the suffering of strangers can also move us"
-Adam Carter
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Guys, I'm not admonishing you, I promise. But just to keep stuff together, it might be better if you talk about Spooks related music in the Spooks music threads in the subforum "Pictures, Videos and Music". If there's not a thread pertaining exactly to what you want, go ahead and start one.

I just think this is a worthy discussion that should take place in a Spooks related thread so it doesn't get lost.

06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Alright Big Grin

Anyway, back to other music, an artist that I was reminded of when re-watching Spooks Season 6:
Regina Spektor(she looks like Anna)! She's got a great voice and her songs have decent lyrics and interesting topics. Another thing I really like is the way she sings... It's just plain fun! My favorite song from her is Samson (yes, the one in the bible), followed by Pavlov's Daughter.

"I think the suffering of strangers can also move us"
-Adam Carter
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Have only heard one of her songs, but I love it; 'The Call' which is played at the end of the Narnia film Prince Caspian.
Such a lovely song (and I actually used it as a track for a video I made to one of my GCSE English poems Tongue)

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile