Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Episode 1 Discussion
06-11-2009, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 02:23 PM by Nitrus.)
RE: Episode 1 Discussion
(06-11-2009 06:09 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Yeah, although Harry's stubborn dedication to always do what's necessary to save the country is one of the major reasons Ruth fell in love with him in the first place. Maybe three years from now she will remember that, and know that he had no choice as they probably would have killed the boy, and Ruth and Harry as well as soon as he told them what they wanted to know.

I agree with you, probably they would have killed father and son...

not three years please! that's too much!!! But I think Harry will try to appologise to Ruth in 8.02... And surely she will be still mad at him at least for a couple of episodes
________________________________________________________________________________​______________________

Perhaps there are rumors about Lucas:
Spoiler: show
a relationship between the CIA woman and him but I don't see it because it will be very similar to Tom and Christine and I don't think they're going to repeat a storyline, I may be wrong...

Edited: I found "A dog so small" tale on you tube read by Judi Dench

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 12:37 PM by JHyde.)
I don't know about anyone else, but I never bought that whole "maybe Ruth's family refers to her mum or pets" thing. As I spoke about previously in the thread, it made perfect sense for Ruth to be where she was. The more I think about episode 1 the more sense it makes broadly speaking too. It means that Harry and Ruth don't just fall into each other's arms without the love triangle scenario that Silktie and I and others are so desperately afraid of. It makes for meaty personal drama for both Ruth and Harry.

On the issue of a return for Malcolm: if he doesn't, his exit was beautiful. And if he does, it could be just by Ruth hanging out with him by the sea, and maybe Malcolm will encourage her to give Harry a chance! that could be really lovely actually.

In terms of when Baghdad took place, I suspect it was somewhere between episodes 3 and 7 of season 4. That was really when their relationship started to grow, and Harry had that level of trust with her. There's also the bonus that Ruth speaks Arabic, so that may well be why they went together.
06-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm really glad that we got that scene with Malcolm and Ruth before he left. One of the things I was really looking forward to with Ruth's return was the interaction between Ruth and Malcolm. They were really good friends before she left. Oh well,at least they threw us a crumb before shocking us with Malcolm's retirement...

I also thought that Malcolm had spoken to Ruth before that last scene on the grid with Harry, as he says to Harry that Ruth is angry with him (Harry). He then tells Harry that he did the right thing, so hopefully he told Ruth that as well. Ruth probably values Malcolm's opinion more than most, so hearing it from him could help her to eventually forgive Harry.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
06-11-2009, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 03:23 PM by JHyde.)
I completely agree Silktie - I always loved those two. Remember the howzat joke?! It brings good luck, maybe we should tell it a few times! But I don't think Malcolm's so unkind as to tell her that right now, maybe in a few months, or a few episodes in our timeline.

I'm also hoping we get a nice little scene with Jo
before her strongly rumoured departure, and especially if she does go.
These were the two most empathetic people on the Grid, and Jo has grown so much since Ruth left. It doesn't have to be major, just a little moment, with Jo perched on the desk to see how she is doing.
06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
i agree it was a good episode, i didn't think they would kill ruth's hubby though, maybe with a little time harry and ruth may tango
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, I liked the way Malcolm used the word "angry"..."Ruth's angry with you" instead of "Ruth hates your guts and wants you to fall under a bus" etc. Angry is quite a gentle word, like Harry had acidentely stepped on Ruth's toe. I think Malcolm was being gentle which is Malcolm all over.

I was wondering about Nico today. If Ruth was his step-mother only and hadnt adopted him, does that make her not his legal guardian. Just trying to think of a reason why the little brat may be sent packing back to "a place in the sun" to live with his birth mother or grandparents.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm also interested to see how Ruth and Ros will get along. They're such different personalities, which has potential to lead to clashes between them. Also, could there be some competition for Harry's attention? I don't mean romantically, but we all know that Ros has become Harry's most trusted lieutenant, a position that Ruth used to hold. Hope all these little nuances get explored in future episodes.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 03:42 PM by Tea Lady.)
(06-11-2009 03:36 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I'm also interested to see how Ruth and Ros will get along. They're such different personalities, which has potential to lead to clashes between them. Also, could there be some competition for Harry's attention? I don't mean romantically, but we all know that Ros has become Harry's most trusted lieutenant, a position that Ruth used to hold. Hope all these little nuances get explored in future episodes.

Yes that will be good. I have to say though that Ros did show some emotion in her face when Harry was missing. She didnt sound upset but she looked it. Thats unusual for Ros. Ros needs Harry. No one would accept an Officer like her if Harry was replaced. Lucas looked less upset than Ros and I noticed he took over the initial briefing which surely was Ros's job as section chief. I think Harry is the only consistant thing in her life since
Adam died
Ruth and Ros have not had a moment together yet......

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
06-11-2009, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 04:37 PM by JHyde.)
I suspect that Ruth will return to Cyprus to tidy things up, initially planning to stay with Nico, but then not wanting to jeopardize his safety, as well assauging as her guilt. So I think he will be left either with the mother if she's still around, or with remaining relatives, and MI6 in the mediterranean will help her spin whatever story she has to about why they were kidnapped and taken to Britain. Plus deal with the house etc and return to England.

I loved that shot of her as she's walking toward the phonebox in the rain and cold weather clothes, back in england. You can almost see her resignation. And when she says to her husband "how much you have to learn", I think she's already accepting then that this life they knew is gone. She can't even get the lie out about their new safe house being homely and "much nicer".

To people who've expressed concens about her not having a legend: I think it quite possible she had a different surname. But as has been suggested already, keeping her first name may have been her hanging on to what vestiges of herself remained upon fleeing.

I've just been reading some press about episode 2. For those of you concerned that Ros isn't quite herself in episode 1, apparently she's back on form this time round.
06-11-2009, 05:32 PM
(06-11-2009 08:00 AM)Beatriz Wrote:  not three years please! that's too much!!! But I think Harry will try to appologise to Ruth in 8.02... And surely she will be still mad at him at least for a couple of episodes

If he doesn't apologise to her soon then he really will just be getting himself further and further apart from Ruth - regardless of whether or not it was the right decision, it was her family, and she's upset because of his actions. Saying sorry won't do him any harm, and it might do the two of them the world of good.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Nico - I'm undecided about whether he should stay or not...

And someone made a comment about Ruth being honest and enjoying having a normal life (sorry, I think it's about a page back and I can't remember who it was!) - I totally agree. She always was lonely (which we were quite clearly told in the episode with Forrestal,) and it does make sense that she would enjoy being loved by someone and having a family. I just wonder if she ever really could love George back, or if her heart (still) belonged to Harry.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.