Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Peter Firth
03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
RE: Peter Firth
(03-01-2011 06:27 AM)cateau1 Wrote:  OMG. Found this on eBay. I think it will take a braver HJP-tragic than me to watch this (don't know if I want to see him like that!)

I'd really encourage you to watch White Angel - I think it's Peter's best performance (so far!). He's absolutely awesome as a serial killer - it's what made me realise that he's not just a good actor, he's a bloody brilliant one (when he wants to be...). The production values of the film are rubbish - it was made for about £5 and most of the other actors are rubbish, too. But Peter is absolutely amazing - the best example of understated menace I've ever seen, I think. And the sight of him in drag is truly something to behold...Cool

The DVD has a commentary by the director and producer which refers to PF and is worth a watch.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
(03-01-2011 11:38 AM)picard1109 Wrote:  He's absolutely awesome as a serial killer - it's what made me realise that he's not just a good actor, he's a bloody brilliant one (when he wants to be...).

This is an interesting comment! I have thought the same for a while now. PF is a brilliant actor. Question is, why doesn't the whole world know it? Trying to find anything that he has been in is hard enough, trying to get hold of that stuff when most of it is no longer available is even harder. He mostly has bit parts, which are little gems - with the emphasis on the word "little". When he has a main part (such as in White Angel) it often seems to be in a production that has little merit other than his contribution to it, so it sinks without trace. I can't decide whether he has a really shit agent or just lacks ambition or judgment. Or maybe it's just really down to "the breaks". I suppose he is hardly unsuccessful when he has had the regular Spooks gig for the last ten years, and he did make that comment in interview about the younger cast members leaving because they didn't realise how hard it is out there in the cold, cold world of acting. I'm just frustrated by the lack of opportunities to really watch him in action.
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe family was more important. Bit parts, in the UK and US, may have enabled him to spend time with his family while still paying the bills.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 03:38 PM by YoungHarryFan.)
From reading a few of PF's interviews, it seems like he had his chances to become a major star but chose not to take them. Here are a couple of quotes from the man himself:-

"I didn't really capitalise on that early success because I had high artistic ideals and they didn't involve commercial cinema. That said, becoming an international film star takes its toll - there's a price to be paid for being recognised all the time, so I'm quite happy not to be"

"When you've had an Academy Award nomination for the film Equus (1977), the work comes rolling in. So I had my chance to be a film star, but I resisted fame. I had peculiar high artistic ideals in those days. There is some regret about turning down Hollywood style-fame now, but only really financially"
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Yes, I've often wondered about how his career has panned out, too. He has said, repeatedly, that when he was young he had high artistic standards...which seems to have meant he didn't capitalise on his early fame. It might also mean that money doesn't mean everything to him, particularly as he dropped out for a few years and hung around Mallorca messing about on boats.

I think DogSoSmall has a point, though - he may well have a shit agent! I really can't understand why he hasn't capitalised on his Spooks fame and raised his profile even higher. If for no other reason than he has kids to put through university...and Spooks won't last forever.

For example, I'd really love to see him compere Have I Got News For You [for non-Brits, it's a political satirical game show, which pokes fun at everyone in the news]. He also really needs to appear as a strong character in a blockbuster, to keep up the momentum.

"Where's Harry?"
03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Nah - I don't think he has a shit agent. Quite the contrary. He has had an extremely respectable career that any actor would be happy to have. He has also been able to transition from child actor to leading man to character actor. Not an easy feat. I would go as far as to say that he has always been a character actor and just needed to mature into it. That is why the big and high profile roles have not come his way since the opportunities post-Equus. He is hard to "type." Character roles are more fun, challenging and satisfying, but they rarely mean top billing.

Sure, it's frustrating that there isn't more of his film and TV work in general distribution and Spooks won't last forever, but I think it will take his career to another level after it is all said and done. He is clearly choosing to not do much in between Spooks series. And he doesn't seem to want to do stage work. I would imagine that he is making a pretty penny off of Spooks by now so he doesn't have to. Or he can be picky with the roles. Or just rest on his laurels for the duration and spend time with his kids while he can.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
All these points are very well made, and I think probably paint a pretty accurate picture of the man. He certainly doesn't seem to be the type to seek stardom - and is all the more admirable for that. Even so, I think it's sad that his talent hasn't been better utilised by the British film industry. Here's hoping for more post Spooks!
03-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I suspect the truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle. There must have been times in his career when he wasn't offered much work (else why would he have made "Lifeforce"?!), but these days he can possibly choose to work or not work. He's said that he's not minded to do theatre (too much like hard work, basically). Shame he's not doing more commercial voice-overs, or even appearing in them. Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren have both made commercials recently. Even Kevin Spacey does commercials. And they certainly don't want for work.

I think PF could have a similar profile to Brian Cox - he seems to be in everything I watch! Character parts, very interesting roles, and a constant profile.

"Where's Harry?"
03-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Lots of interesting points here. As A Cousin says, he has made that transition from child star to adult actor. I can't think of many others that have with the exception of Dennis Waterman, who although a talented actor, is quite typecast. I wouldn't want to see Peter in one of those golden handcuff contracts post Spooks, when actors appear in so many vehicles just written for them that you become sick of the sight of them. Not that we would ever be sick of him Smile.

I love the way that he only really wants to talk about his work, rather than about his personal life. There are plenty of other rather less talented actors, living their life like an open wound so why would he bother to do the same? It must be nice to have a successful and enjoyable acting career and remain relatively anonymous. James Bolam and his wife Susan Jameson live in the next village from me and I love that they just potter about like normal folk and just blend in.

Good on Peter. I think he's doing a great job keeping us entertained. I am sure the future post Spooks will be bright for him.

Just to ramble on a bit more, watched the repeats of Yellowstone on TV for the first time over Christmas. First nature programme I have watched on my new 50' TV, and with PF's lovely voice it was perfection! Trouble is I kept nodding off because his voice is so restful Wink.
04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
I like your comments re Harry's personal life being personal; but I must say, I wish he'd be more candid in interviews about Spooks. I'm sick of him parroting the same lines in every interview - yes, we know Spooks works well cause it kills off its characters - tell us something we really want to know like what's his opinion on Ruth and Harry. He says this line about how he knows Harry really well, better than his portrail on screen and yet he doesn't give us more!

Right, rant over now.

P.S: Would so love to see him on Have I Got News for You Wink