Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spooks Gadgets
23-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Spooks Gadgets
I find the gadgets used on Spooks to be a fascinating subject so I thought a place to discuss and exchange information about the various "toys" used over the years might be an interesting idea. We can share information about existence, development, history, and applications of the gadgets we see in Spooks. Fell free to discuss technology as well.

So put on your infrared night goggles and spy fingers and lets go spying!

I am by no means an expert, but here is what I have been able to find out in an hours time. I'll start the ball rolling with the key fob micro gun Fiona requisitions in 4.7.

F: You know this could be a bit cumbersome. Do you think I could also have something more discreet?
M: Its got cupronickel hollow point bullets. For maximum effect.
F: Its not the most accurate gun on the planet, I know.
M: At least it won't trip the Embassy's metal detectors.
F: How thrilled do you think the Russian Mafia would be if they knew we were using their little invention?
M: Theirs tend to go off unintentionally.
F: But ours don't, right?
M: (shrugs) Can I interest you in anything else?

Which got me wondering:

-Is it Russian in origin? Not sure, but the instruction booklets are in Bulgarian.

-When was it originally developed? Don't know - but am guessing Cold War era. I swear to goodness that something similar is in a James Bond movie somewhere!

-Does it really fool metal detectors? It can. Esp. when you toss it in with other metal objects like keys. Seems like it fools the people monitoring the metal detectors more.

-Does it go off accidentally? Don't know.

-Is is inaccurate? Yes. Definitely a short range weapon.

-What is cupronickel? A copper alloy with nickel strengthening elements like iron and manganese.

-Why would hollow point bullets provide the maximum effect? Because they are designed to expand upon entry.

-How "spooky" is it really? Do the general public have access?? They only cost about $20USD and are legal in Bulgaria. Two were seized as far back as 1998 in Perth & Athens. A very old article: http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/06/world/...ports.html

Feel free to add on or correct me.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Spooks Gadgets - A Cousin - 23-07-2010 07:56 PM
RE: Spooks Gadgets - A Cousin - 27-07-2010, 02:24 PM
RE: Spooks Gadgets - Tea Lady - 27-07-2010, 03:57 PM
RE: Spooks Gadgets - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 05:14 PM
RE: Spooks Gadgets - A Cousin - 27-07-2010, 06:05 PM