Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch]
25-04-2010, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2010 03:34 PM by JHyde.)
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch]
(24-04-2010 08:15 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I found this episode exceedingly bleak, and I agree with Condor that its pace is too slow. I'm usually the first one to ask for more character moments, but I actually feel this episode suffers from having too many. The A plot is not really about a threat to the UK, but rather about Danny's personal journey in having to kill this man. Perhaps, then, it would have helped if the B plot had been about a real threat to the UK, but instead we got another personal story about Ruth's lonely existence. Then, to top it all, we got the C plot about Danny/Zoe/Will. Don't get me wrong, I love all these storylines individually, but it's just too much all crammed into one episode.

Danny was really shitty with Zoe, specifically in the way he told her about Will's brother and the photos. This episode is full of people failing spectacularly to separate the personal from the professional, just like Harry did in the previous episode. So perhaps the moral of these two episodes is that you can never fully separate the two, however hard you might try.

The first point is true, Silktie. I absolutely thought this the first two times I saw this episode. But weirdly enough, it's ended up being one of the better episodes of the season for me. It also harks back to a point I make about season 3 generally. That there are wonderful bits in every episode, but it's hard to push aside that sometimes they fall over at the gate.
Series 8 Spoiler: show
This was also my main criticism of season 8, and I think I will end up feeling about the same about that season too.

Your second point about Danny is more complicated. But I don't really blame him. To be fair, he hadn't told her yet and chose the worst possible moment to do so, but given what he'd just been through....I just feel for both of them so much at the end of this one.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch] - JHyde - 24-04-2010, 10:20 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch] - JHyde - 25-04-2010 06:15 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch] - Aria - 25-04-2010, 09:50 PM