Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch]
26-04-2010, 04:55 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch]
Wow! Such thoughtful well-worded replies here. Not that I expected anything less. I am still in the thinking it all out stages here. Since I have never met a Spooks episode I haven't liked on some level I cannot comment on that. However, I do have a couple of questions and attendant comments:

re: Ruth Plot - What was Harry's last line? After Ruth says that they "can't let that kind of thing to get in the way of work." Does he say, "Oh, yes we can?" The first time I watched this ep., I was so involved in the Zoe/Danny and Zoe/Will plots that the Ruth plot, while I "got it" and how it fit into the general theme, it just didn't stand out to me. Upon second viewing and fully aware of the future through 5.5, I still thought it too early. I think he's testing/training both Sam and Ruth. In Harry's defense, maybe he could have just nipped it in the bud with Ruth directly, but a lesson learned is never better learned than when it is learned the hard way - cold hard experience. I question his methods and motives, but not in any other way than as boss-employee.

re:Harry/Sam/Malcolm spying on Ruth. Who informed who? Did Harry find out and get Sam involved or did Sam report Ruth to Harry? If the former, Sam really doesn't have much choice. If the later, shame on Sam! And when did Malcolm get involved and by whom? He clearly knew something right at the top since he was the one who brought Ruth the files. Not sure he could have done that w/out Harry's authorization? Maybe Malcolm reported Ruth? Its not very clear. I'm still working this one out.

re: Danny and the State sponsored assassination. This actually jumped right out on me upon my first viewing but I haven't jumped in until now b/c I wanted to see what all of you had to say first.
Spoiler: show
For me this is the beginning of the end for Danny - long before the Persephone episode.
I am with the folks that state sponsored assassination is very different than killing in the line of duty if only b/c, at least in this case, it was the first option. Killing in the line of duty is usually a last resort situation or at least in self defense. Harry and Adam clearly knew what they were going to ask Zoe and Danny to do once they were on the ferry.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch] - JHyde - 24-04-2010, 10:20 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch] - Aria - 25-04-2010, 09:50 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [re-watch] - A Cousin - 26-04-2010 04:55 PM