Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[spoilers] Home Secretary - The Series 9 one
12-10-2010, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2010 05:19 AM by JHyde.)
[spoilers] Home Secretary - The Series 9 one
I don't think we have a thread for the new HS yet do we? So I thought I would start one up.

I shall kick off on a silly note. Every time Harry trots off to see the HS, just for a split second I look at SRB and think that he's Charlie Slater from Eastenders. Is it just me? Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2010, 10:58 PM
RE: Home Secretary - The Series 9 one
I am really enjoying the new HS and think that he is being played so well by SRB! He is really playing the politican angle - I was especially impressed by the TV interview he gives and he had all the mannerisms and proper political answers down pat. Watching that I was convinced that Simon is a politician!
I am looking forward to watching Harry & HS's relationship / battles to continue.

@watchstrap - I have never seen Eastenders so I don't have that problem Wink

[Image: t4t-sig-A.jpg]
Thank you TygerBright for my fantastic av & sig!
13-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I love him too. The scenes between the HS and Harry has become my favourites of the season, because there's a lot going on beneath the surface every time they meet. Towers clearly doesn't like Harry much, but he always seems in the end to make the right decision for the good of the country. Especially in the last episode, when he subliminally gave Harry leeway to hang onto Kai even if it would upset both the Chinese and the Americans.

Looking forward to see how this relationship develops.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
13-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I love Towers as well. He really seems like a politician, always looking at different angles and trying to not fall out with other countries. The conversations between him and Harry are brilliant.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
13-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah, Towers is a great character -- the sparring between he and Harry has become one of my favorite parts of s8. I think it was a really good idea to make him someone H could never become friendly with, especially after what happened with Blake.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
13-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm really enjoying SRB's performance as Towers. His little sighs and eye rolls at Harry are great and their mutual antipathy is a contrast to Harry's relationship with Nicholas Blake. I think one of the reviewers for season 9 said that SRB was a great addition his only problem was every scene he had was with a wonderful PF!!

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
13-10-2010, 04:19 PM
SRB is arguably one of the best actors of his generation. The on-screen chemistry between he and PF is electric. RG is a wonderful actor, but PF still dominated. SRB is something else altogether. I'm lovin' watching the pissing match between the two characters and as well as someone giving PF a real run for his money.

Mark my words: Towers is not what he seems. I think they are setting up an intentional contrast between Blake and Towers. After the betrayal of Blake, Harry will trust no one in that office. Towers is going to seem diametrically opposed to Harry in every way but he is going to come through in some way in the end.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
20-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone else think that Towers is a bit out of his depth in 9.6?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
20-10-2010, 02:41 AM
You mean 9.5? and yes, he has the political game down pretty well but he doesn't seem to really be into making the hard decisions and he does get flustered when things go pear shaped. I wonder how someone who's that twitchy got to be HS?

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
20-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Look if they can let Lucas on the grid with his history they can recruit a flaky HS. I really like him and I think that the relationship between Harry and him is excellent dramatically. I think as the HS finds his feet he will be quite a testy old buzzard but, I think, someone who Harry can work with.

veni vidi nodavi