Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Nicola Walker and Peter Firth
22-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Harry Nicola Walker and Peter Firth
I'm relatively new here so hope it's ok posting a new thread for this but I just had to say this. Until I joined this board I hadn't realised the whole Harry Ruth gorgeousness was all brought about by the sheer chemistry of PF and NW alone. How wonderful is that, must be great and quite rare as an actor to have that kind of proffesionnal connection with another actor. PS sorry for my bad spelling.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2010, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2010 03:46 PM by Beatriz.)
RE: Nicola Walker and Peter Firth
What I find so brilliant about the pair of them is that
Series 4 Spoiler: show
they supposedly were responsible for the Harry/Ruth relationship. It wasn't written into the script, they just subtely slid it in there with small gestures and looks, so fabulously that the writers had to write it in too! Heart

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2010, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2010 03:54 PM by Beatriz.)
Series 3 Spoiler: show
it sort of happens really quickly to that by s3 you properly believe that ruth could be in love with him (and well lets face it she is).
i love all the knowing looks between them! they have that relationship where they get on so well it goes on screen much like david tennant and billie pipper

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
23-11-2010, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2010 03:57 PM by Beatriz.)
Series 4 and 8 Spoiler: show
I feel as though before the relationship was scripted and PF and NW just acted on instinct and natural chemistry, the spark between them was more evident than it has been since NW came back. It's as though now the writer's are paying it some attention and the two of them are told to act it, it has lost something. Despite several incidents of them looking into each others eyes in series 9, they couldn't reproduce the moments of electricity in the Havensworth corridor Thud or the one in the grid corridor after NW's scene with Lindsey Duncan.
23-11-2010, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2010 03:59 PM by Beatriz.)
(23-11-2010 11:00 PM)Naivety Wrote:  
Series 4 and 8 Spoiler: show
I feel as though before the relationship was scripted and PF and NW just acted on instinct and natural chemistry, the spark between them was more evident than it has been since NW came back. It's as though now the writer's are paying it some attention and the two of them are told to act it, it has lost something. Despite several incidents of them looking into each others eyes in series 9, they couldn't reproduce the moments of electricity in the Havensworth corridor Thud or the one in the grid corridor after NW's scene with Lindsey Duncan.
Ooh, excellent point there, Naivety!

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
23-11-2010, 11:33 PM
It's irritating as you can't ask the writers to leave them alone as nothing will happen, but you can't really say 'interfere more' as like you said it could have negative effects. Oh dear, what a situation!

Codename Kirayuki: Vid Maker. H/R & Ruth fan.
[Image: Thatsyou98sigwithtext.jpg]
24-11-2010, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2010 04:23 PM by A Cousin.)
(23-11-2010 11:33 PM)Kirayuki Wrote:  It's irritating as you can't ask the writers to leave them alone as nothing will happen, but you can't really say 'interfere more' as like you said it could have negative effects. Oh dear, what a situation!

Series S9 Spoiler: show
It all really took center stage this series. But I think they handled it rather well from an individual character POV. However, for the first time, it was a main theme in conjunction with the Lucas plot. Or it should have been, IMO, until the Lucas "thang" took over like the creature from the black lagoon. Which is why I think they should now just let them "get/be" together and then ignore it and let PF and NW get down to it.

(23-11-2010 11:00 PM)Naivety Wrote:  I feel as though before the relationship was scripted and PF and NW just acted on instinct and natural chemistry, the spark between them was more evident than it has been since NW came back. It's as though now the writer's are paying it some attention and the two of them are told to act it, it has lost something. Despite several incidents of them looking into each others eyes in series 9, they couldn't reproduce the moments of electricity in the Havensworth corridor Thud or the one in the grid corridor after NW's scene with Lindsey Duncan.

Series S4 & 5 Spoiler: show
My own opinion is that by the time we got to the 4.9 hallway scene the directors at least were on board with the H/R idea. Certainly by 5.4 both director and writer were all over it. For me, both of those scenes were written with very specific H/R intentions in mind. But I see what you are saying about the natural chemistry prior to.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
24-11-2010, 07:37 AM
I agree that PF and NW should be left more to their own devices in S10. They know what they're doing (and they know what they're doing to us!).
24-11-2010, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2010 05:02 PM by Forever Secret.)
It's a good point, about PF and NW creating the chemistry between H/R...
In the beginning there was nothing much there, as the series go on it develops, but if you just read the script it's not obvious just by reading it that there's any chemistry there, it all comes from the way PF and NW acted it out... (Which was brilliant)
Series 4 Spoiler: show
I think it was said in the Audio Commentary for 4.9 as well tha NW made an acting choice in the bus scene, and it worked perfectly,

I agree though,
Series 8 Spoiler: show
there's a different... kind of underlying chemistry since Ruths return, perhaps because the writters are now writting specificaly for them, before it seems they weren't, the relationship just developed on it's own

I agree with A Cousin here I think for S10, they should get rid of the "Will they/Wont they" stuff, it's been going on for so long now, H/R should just get/be together and the actors should be left too it, part of the reason the H/R stuff is so great, the main reason is because of how brilliantly PF and NW act... Smile

[Image: smallersig-1.jpg]
You and I...We're made of secrets-Ruth Evershed S10
"If it was up to me and Peter they'd have done it loads by now"- Nicola Walker Wink
24-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Guys this thread is in Character & Actor Section so Spoiler tags are needed when talking about series 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva