Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Netflix Instant Queue Episodes Delete Scenes!
18-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Netflix Instant Queue Episodes Delete Scenes!
Hi, All,
I watched Seasons 1-4 and 6 in the Netflix instant queue and then when I realized there were audio commentaries on the DVD's, I put all the DVD's in my queue. Well, I started with episodes 4.9 and 4.10 last night and realized a LOT of the scenes/dialogue had been cut from the streaming versions! i.e. in 4.10 they cut everything referring to the fact that Ruth had "stolen" the micro film reader. It's so cute when she tells Harry and he leans into her ear and tell her to return it! And in 4.9 they cut the scene where Harry's friend is driving him away from the convenience store when he went out the back to avoid the surveillance. These are just a couple of examples. So let this be a warning to all my fellow Americans - get the DVD's - avoid the instant queue!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2011, 02:25 PM
RE: Netflix Instant Queue Episodes Delete Scenes!
So are the streaming versions the same as Americans would see if they watched on TV with the adverts put in? It must be so incredibly frustrating watching a programme you know has had scenes cut out.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
18-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Sure sounds like it and I am not sure why. Maybe because the US TV cuts were sanctioned and done by Kudos itself. I had heard from other cousins that this was the case, though. I agree langley, stick with the DVD's. Or PBS.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
18-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes, it seems like Netflix used the edited versions for U.S. TV that made room for commercials. Not sure why they would use those. I'm so grateful for this forum, because if you hadn't talked about the audio commentaries, I never would have discovered the deleted scenes. And a lot of the story lines make so much more sense now! At least I can look forward to watching the full episodes and scouting for the missing scenes!
18-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Recent episodes shown on UK Gold have the cut down versions too to fit an hour slot plus 10 minutes for adverts and it is incredibly annoying - it sounds like the same scenes were cut too.

I just watched season 3 episode 7 with audio commentary and they were saying that more often than not it is the scenes of the B storyline that get cut first and these are usually the more personal driven storylines.

I do agree though that sometimes these cut scenes are the ones that make the story make a whole lot more sense, it's a shame that they have to cut it at all and can't just make the TV slot longer for an hour show.
24-02-2011, 06:59 AM
On some of the extras they tell you that for a European audience they cut it to 52mins and for US audience they cut it to 45mins. On dvd (UK tv) they're 58mins - you guys are missing out big time! Get the dvds!! Smile
04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
hmm that is weird because i watched most on the canadian netflix and they are usually around 58 minutes long.i had heard there were shortened versions for A and E (US) allowing time for commercials but thought i was seeing the whole show .I will have to check that.thx for the info

Zaf: Shouldn’t you be in prison or something?
Ros: This is the something.
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
guy lafleur, here's an easy way to tell if the version you saw was cut. In 4.10 I think - the one about Diana, does Ruth tell Harry she stole the micro fiche reader? There was no reference to that at all in the U.S. Netflix version. They even cut the part where Malcolm complains that it was stolen.
Also, in 3.1 does Ruth pass a note to Harry in his hospital room by telling the nurse she's having his baby? I almost DIED when I saw that the other night on the DVD. I was so excited! But it's cut out of the instant queue version. Harry just reappears on the grid with no explanation and it doesn't make any sense.
31-10-2011, 05:30 PM
!
I greatly appreciate the information on this thread-

(I'm in New York) I watched series 1-9 on Netflix 'streaming' (and used those imperfect, frustrating, but useful 'Videobb' et. al. to catch up to Series 10 episodes).

I checked the Netflix website, this morning.
According to the 'instant/streaming' page with all episodes listed:
Series 1 & 2 - episodes 50-52 mins long.
Series 3 & 4 - episodes 52 mins long.
Series 5 - episodes 57-59 mins long.
Series 6 & 7 episodes 58-59 mins long (except for 6/6: 56 mins long)
Series 8 - 57-59 mins long (except for 8/3: 56 mins long)
Series 9 - 58-59 mins long

? if anyone can throw further light on this, I/any Netflix customers thank you in advance.. !

I will follow up on a few thread suggestions.. ex. thanks, langley! re 4/9 and 4/10.
then I will post what I find (if anything).

I am planning to enjoy Series 1-10 a second, more-attention-to-detail! time.. so would love to know I'm watching The Director's Cut, so to speak!
31-10-2011, 07:31 PM
(31-10-2011 05:30 PM)daphne Wrote:  !
I greatly appreciate the information on this thread-

(I'm in New York) I watched series 1-9 on Netflix 'streaming' (and used those imperfect, frustrating, but useful 'Videobb' et. al. to catch up to Series 10 episodes).

I checked the Netflix website, this morning.
According to the 'instant/streaming' page with all episodes listed:
Series 1 & 2 - episodes 50-52 mins long.
Series 3 & 4 - episodes 52 mins long.
Series 5 - episodes 57-59 mins long.
Series 6 & 7 episodes 58-59 mins long (except for 6/6: 56 mins long)
Series 8 - 57-59 mins long (except for 8/3: 56 mins long)
Series 9 - 58-59 mins long

? if anyone can throw further light on this, I/any Netflix customers thank you in advance.. !

I will follow up on a few thread suggestions.. ex. thanks, langley! re 4/9 and 4/10.
then I will post what I find (if anything).

I am planning to enjoy Series 1-10 a second, more-attention-to-detail! time.. so would love to know I'm watching The Director's Cut, so to speak!

The 4.9 and 4.10 I have on my computer (from iTunes) are 52 minutes long and I'm afraid they are missing the lines as described above - so I think for S1-4 you will be watching the shorter version.