Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is Sweet Tea?
19-02-2011, 10:43 AM
What is Sweet Tea?
Hi, All, in episode 5.5 Harry tells Ruth what she needs is sweet tea and she says how very English that is. In the U.S sweet tea is an iced tea drink that's common in the South, but what is sweet tea in England? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2011, 10:58 AM
RE: What is Sweet Tea?
Hello Langley Smile

This is one of those cultural references a UK audience probably takes so much for granted it doesn't occur to us that there might be any other interpretation! 'Sweet tea' is just a description of leaf tea with several spoonfuls of sugar added (it helps the medicine go down, etc!). It's sort of a running cultural joke that the English think every crisis can be resolved with a cup of tea - usually referred to as "a nice cup of tea". Ruth is a bit self-conscious about her innate English-ness.
19-02-2011, 06:54 PM
(19-02-2011 10:58 AM)binkie Wrote:  It's sort of a running cultural joke that the English think every crisis can be resolved with a cup of tea - usually referred to as "a nice cup of tea".

Do you mean that there is a crisis that can't be fixed with a nice cup of tea?! Smile

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
19-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Nope. Absolutely everthing can be solved over a cup of tea.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
19-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Thank you for the explanation about the tea - that is one of the reasons I love this forum so much! I'm a big tea drinker, too, which I proudly attribute to my English heritage on my mother's side. But if I have any after noon I can't sleep. The last time I went to London I drank so much tea I couldn't sleep a wink. A colleague of mine from London told me the English think tea is a cure for everything, including insomnia. I love the English so much!
20-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't have any English heritage, I think (sniff!), but I'm a major tea drinker as well. Anything from 1 to 5 mugs of the stuff can go down during one day at work. It's true it can give you a temporary feeing of bliss. Smile
20-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think you need any English heritage to enjoy tea. Actually, I'm a Brit and I can't stand the stuff!

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
20-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Ros RE: What is Sweet Tea?
(20-02-2011 10:58 AM)picard1109 Wrote:  I don't think you need any English heritage to enjoy tea. Actually, I'm a Brit and I can't stand the stuff!

Same here Confused

Harry & Ruth fan Heart Ros & Malcolm fan

Books are a girls best friend Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I have been trying to think of a similar kind of general panacea in the US and have come up blank. Sadly, the best I can come up with is shopping. Wink But like picard/Mrs Hat and tea, I hate shopping. Last time I checked, I am still very much an American. So stereotypes are stereotypes, I suppose.

Maybe ice cream? But that is more of a female-specific thing. We do tend to feed each other when there is something important to discuss. But I am not sure that is specific to the US. Huh

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
20-02-2011, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2011 03:55 PM by Tea Lady.)
I'm more of a coffee fan, but I felt "Coffee Lady" didn't have the same ring to it. Wink I wish there were more tea and cake shops in the UK, especially London. No lie, but on my walk from train station to office, which is 15mins. I pass 3 Costas, 3 Eats, and 2 Starbucks. Where are all the tea shops ??????

Sweet Tea is a bit grim. Black Tea is ok.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]