Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which DVD's in all series have the best commentaries
05-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Which DVD's in all series have the best commentaries
I'm trying to prioritize which DVD's to put in my Netflix queue. I just saw episodes 3.1 and 3.2 but the audio commentaries were really boring because they only featured the directors. Could somebody please tell me which episodes have NW or PF doing the audio commentaries and which ones have outtakes? Thanks so much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 03:59 PM
RE: Which DVD's in all series have the best commentaries
PF doesn't do any of the Audio commentaries ... but NW does commentary for 2.5, 4.9 and 4.10 and 9.7 Wink
2.5 also has Hugh Simon (Malcolm) and Rory McGregor (Colin) on the commentary and 4.9 and 10 also has Miranda Raison(Jo) Wink
I'd say Series 4 has the best audio commentaries Wink

[Image: smallersig-1.jpg]
You and I...We're made of secrets-Ruth Evershed S10
"If it was up to me and Peter they'd have done it loads by now"- Nicola Walker Wink
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Thank you so much, Forever Secret!! Oh I wish PF did some of the commentaries. How great would that be with NW?
05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Season 3 does get a bit more interesting 3.4 and 3.8 have Olga Sosnovska (Fiona Carter) and 3.5 and 3.6 have David Oyelowo (Danny Hunter).

Disappointingly Season 5 only has writers and directors on the last two episodes.
05-03-2011, 05:34 PM
2.5 has the best commentary. You laugh the whole 60mins. Smile

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
05-03-2011, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2011 07:00 PM by Forever Secret.)
Ahh 2.5 is brilliant Tea Lady! Big Grin So funny!!!!!
Series 2.5commentary Spoiler: show
I always laugh at that whole 'Downing Street Scrambler' thing NW is just brilliant! Hugh Simon, Nicola Walker, Rory McGregor and just fantastic together on that commentary! Big Grin

"If it was up to me and Peter they'd have done it loads by now"- Nicola Walker Wink
05-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I am probably going to be the lone voice in the wind, but I prefer the commentaries with the Producers, Directors, Writers and Script Editors because I find they give more insight into overall plot development, character development, writing arcs, cinematography and filming techniques. I have only heard them once through so I'd need more viewing to get much more specific but I particularly like the producer Andrew Woodhead and the script editor for S3 (whose name is shamefully escaping me at the moment Blush) because their commentary comes from the POV of someone who is concentrated on the series as a whole and not one episode or one character.

The best actor commentary for me comes from David Oyelowo hands down. Maybe because he is a director as well.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
05-03-2011, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2011 08:55 PM by Forever Secret.)
Actually A Cousin I agree with you, usually the commentaries from the actors have more humour in them but the commentaries from the directors and writters look deeper into the characters, the actors don't have much of a say in what goes on or the script so it's really interesting to listen to writters/producers/ directors opinions, why they have written or directed the episode the way they did, what they hope will happen in the future ect Smile
I think it works nicely when there is a writter, and producer or director and one of the actors all doing commentary, that way there's an opinion from each rather than just the point of view of one position, if you get what I mean Wink
I think I enjoyed Andrew Woodhead and Howard Brenton's (Probaby my favourite Spooks writter Smile) commentaries the most, it's great to see their views on the show Wink

06-03-2011, 02:37 AM
(05-03-2011 08:54 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  I think it works nicely when there is a writter, and producer or director and one of the actors all doing commentary, that way there's an opinion from each rather than just the point of view of one position, if you get what I mean Wink

Nice to know I'm not alone, Forever Secret! I am just an insufferable snob about it, I suppose. Smile I find that actors tend to start telling periferal stories (certainly very humorous and entertaining) and the next thing you know 3 more scenes are gone and you have learned nothing about the process. I really like and I want to know about the process. And to be fair to them, the process isn't their job.

(05-03-2011 08:54 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  I think I enjoyed Andrew Woodhead and Howard Brenton's (Probaby my favourite Spooks writter Smile) commentaries the most, it's great to see their views on the show Wink

Andrew Woodhead is great on audio commentary. He talks enough but not too much. I like Howard Brenton's commentaries too. My feeling when I listen to both of them is that they don't feel like they "have" to say something and fill every moment. But I also find Rupert Walters to be fascinating as well. The director that sticks in my brain is Cilla Ware on 3.3 and 3.4 but that is probably because she is one of the two female directors they have had. Her commentary is pretty entertaining.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I think I'd have to say S2. NW does so many of them, and she's absolutely brilliant. There's one in particular (at least one, possibly) with her and Rory Macgregor, which is hilarious. Also, the one for the episode with Harry and Ruth on the bus is so great
Spoiler: show
NW: "Adam schmadam!"
Gotta love it Big Grin

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user