Peter Firth #3
Carrying on....

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2011, 01:56 PM
RE: Peter Firth #3
Silktie Wrote:I wonder if they'll stay true to the clothes of the period or whether it will be tweaked slightly? I was a little alarmed to learn that the nuns of that time didn't wear underwear underneath their habits...

Yeah, well, you know, who's lookin'? Tongue Sure is going to make taking Miranda Richardson seriously difficult, though. She's playing an Abbess, correct?

loladom Wrote:I'll try to check it out online. Interestingly, the review on IMBD is really scathing of PF, singling him out for direct criticism. I suspect the writer may well have been more angry at the portrayal of Sir Fred in the movie rather than PF's abilities as he claims to know Sir Fred personally. Perhaps the poster doesn't feel it's a fair representation of him, which would be the writer's fault rather than PF.

I can see where this criticism is coming from. Sir Fred is a bit demonized and side-lined in the programme. I am not a personal friend of Sir Fred's Wink, but I did a little bit (a very little bit) of personal research about him after watching Hawking. As expected, his contributions to cosmology are intriguing and thought-provoking and ground-breaking and all those other things that cosmologists get to spend their careers thinking about. But TV is TV. They needed conflict and there it was.

That said, I agree, for the reason you mention above, this does not diminish PF's performance of it. He goes at it with his usual dedication and conviction - all barrels firing. His job is not to judge the script he is given. His job is to act it.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Just found this article on Jane Austen from a few years back, it's mainly RPJ but there is a great bit about Peter at the end (Looks like a baby LOL )
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/holida...-Bath.html
01-08-2011, 09:23 PM
(01-08-2011 02:59 PM)jacko Wrote:  Just found this article on Jane Austen from a few years back, it's mainly RPJ but there is a great bit about Peter at the end (Looks like a baby LOL )
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/holida...-Bath.html

Thank you, I really enjoyed that, especially this quote at the end:

Do not be afraid,' he pouts fabulously. 'I will not overwhelm you with too much grief or with too much passion. But since you left us, the white rose bush has died of grief.'

I love a Peter Firth pout! PF's Northanger Abbey will be on my Xmas wish list, but it's pure Cheddar! Big Grin
09-08-2011, 10:57 PM
This is probably old news, but I've only just found something on You Tube that didn't seem to be there before. Someone's put Laughter of God up there in instalments. This is a link to the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iaYfKPwICY

PF in his prime!
09-08-2011, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2011 11:46 PM by beatrice4ruth.)
I just watched it. PF is brilliant in his portrayal of a frightening and damaged husband. The movie is ambiguous and so is PF. I can’t make up my mind whether there are sinister forces at work or whether the husband is mentally unbalanced. I will let other fans talk about the intimate scenes!
11-08-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't know if this was already posted, but there are 3 youtube clips of Peter in Hawking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiJFWn5or...re=related
12-08-2011, 03:40 AM
(09-08-2011 10:57 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  This is probably old news, but I've only just found something on You Tube that didn't seem to be there before. Someone's put Laughter of God up there in instalments. This is a link to the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iaYfKPwICY

PF in his prime!

Thanks for this. Managed to rip it all off, so viewing at my leisure (In case it comes down as quietly as it went up!) Nice find.
14-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I popped Hawking on yesterday, to keep me company while I ironed, to my surprise I totally enjoyed it. I thought the acting was great and I loved PF and his yorkshire accent, not so sure about his curly hair mind...thanks again Tea Lady.
15-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Oh, I rather liked the curly hair!

I'm going to book next Sunday out as a 'TV and film festival day' - banish my husband to other parts of the house or the garage, line up a whole day's worth of TV and movies, get popcorn, hotdogs and beer, and just sit and enjoy all day long. Some of that day will be watching PF's work that I have yet to watch - probably Gaston's War and Laughter of God. And I might watch The Vice again, because I love the totally sleazy character he plays in that.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."