Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Genevieve O'Reilly
23-12-2009, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2009 08:10 PM by YourFutureMuse.)
Genevieve O'Reilly
Just watched The State Within with Genevieve O Reilly in it and I was pleasantly surprised by how good an actress she is!! Although I must admit her british accent is a lot better than her American one lol.

Wondered if anybody else had seen anything she is in or discussion on how she has portrayed Sarah.

I like the character of Sarah and think that the only thing that lets her down is the accent!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2009, 04:39 AM
RE: Genevieve O Reilly
I've gone on record many times on the forum and said that I saw her on stage twice in two very different roles, once when she was still in theatre school and once not long after she finished. She was really excellent and was so excited about her being on Spooks.

She's a good actress but was miscast, I think, with a bad American accent and not the greatest of storylines to start with.

I'm hoping this doesn't derail what should be a good career for her.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
23-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I am somewhat clouded with my experience of her acting, Spooks being the only thing i've seen her in. And it's definitely put me off seeing anything else she's in.

But I might give it a go if she doesn't have a ridiculous accent.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
23-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeeahh you should definitely watch the State Within Big Grin Its amazing and shows what a good actress she is Tongue And her accent is good even if it is an uberposh british one that usually annoy me Tongue

And I honestly don't think she has been *that* bad in Spooks... I will definitely look out for more things she is in in the future Big Grin
23-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I think sometimes she's trying too hard to sound American she forgets the acting part.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
24-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I think episode 8 is definitely her best episode acting wise and her accent didn't annoy me this time, maybe I am just use to it now.
28-12-2009, 05:16 PM
RE: Genevieve O'Reilly
I'm going to give her another shot in Day of the Triffids - it's got Ewen Bremner and Eddie Izzard in it, amongst others, so it can't be bad. If she's playing an Irish woman who grew up in Australia she might just manage a believable accent.............

[Image: kirmosig.png]
28-12-2009, 05:17 PM
haha thats a good point I wonder what accent she will have Tongue
20-01-2010, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2010 12:02 AM by deathbymascara.)
I saw her when she portrayed Princess Diana... Not really have an opinion on it.. she wasn't terrible..
What shocks me about spooks is that nobody noticed the accent and it really was poor casting IMO (Please don't shout at me Musey Tongue) Do they not have voice coaches or something? She does do a good english accent though Smile I thought she was english.

I never saw Day of the Triffids but will be interested to see her in something else.. just to see whether it was just the sarah role that didn't suit her.

And also YFM you appear to have developed a GOR obssession whilst I have been away lol Confused It not healthy Tongue Only joking Big Grin
(23-12-2009 05:21 PM)bertowud Wrote:  I think sometimes she's trying too hard to sound American she forgets the acting part.

I definitely agree with this

ros
Death by mascara. It was horrible to watch. Ruth's agonizing over the fact that there are no more horses in modern-day warfare and Adam's on a course learning how to lift his knuckles off the ground. So, you'll have to make do with me, I'm afraid.
20-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Especially given how fast Spooks shoots, I am sure that it makes doing the accent even harder. It's also very difficult to stay in one accent while everyone else is speaking another.

Of course, none of this excuses it altogether. I'm just trying to explain why an otherwise decent actress could stuff up so supremely.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature