Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ruth's Diary - No.7 (2.7)
21-02-2010, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2010 02:26 PM by JHyde.)
Ruth Ruth's Diary - No.7 (2.7)
Posted slightly later than I'd hoped, purely because I forgot to upload it earlier Blush And warning for minor swearing.

***Spoilers for Series 2****

[9th April 2004]

Another nightmare day. Tom was briefing us about a potential threat, Jerome Durand, who has created an air burst EMP missile that has the potential to destroy parts of London without a single casualty. This technology, code-named Firestorm, seems to be up for sale, to whom we don't know. We do, however, know his backing agent. Frank Hastings, a middle-weight arms dealer. We were tasked with delivering this technology into our own safe hands. Technically stealing it from him. I'm certain it's illegal, but it seems we have no choice.

We now need to find a clean skin, someone from outside the service who we've never used before, to get into Durand's building and steal Firestorm. As if that wasn't hard enough to do, they also have to remember ten number codes. Six gave Harry the codes this morning, so we were waiting for him to arrive into work with them. I doubt we're going to find anyone who can remember such a long sequence of numbers, let alone someone who's a clean skin as well who we can persuade to do such a dangerous operation.

Then, it got even worse. The DGSE (the French secret service,) know that Durand is over here, so have sent over one of their agents. Jean-Luc, infamously a flirt, though this did not bother either Sam or Zoe. To their disappointment, as well as Danny's, he was paired up with Danny. Less than forty minutes later, Harry says he's been burgled and the codes have been stolen. We now have to play catch up, with Zoe and I set the unenviable job of finding a clean skin to get inside the building. There was no one, no one we could find who was not involved with the service who fitted our needs, and Harry was expecting us to work miracles and magic someone out of thin air. It was ridiculous.

[10th April 2004]

This operation is failing, and it could drag us all down with it. Not only did we receive intelligence that Durand was planning to sell the EMP missile to the Chinese (who hardly need any more weapons anyway), but we also heard of Jean-Luc setting a kill-team on Durand, and Harry also deciding that we were going to use the 14 year-old boy (JJ Franks) who broke into his house to steal Firestorm. He is only a child, and MI5 are going to manipulate him to do their will, to make him break into one of the most secure buildings in Britain, steal a computer program and leave him stranded there with no way out. It's morally questionable, and damn near illegal. I can't believe Harry suggested that we used him to get the program, let alone believe that this operation is going ahead. His justification for allowing this to go ahead was "Terrorists aren’t the only ones to manipulate youth. It’s all
part of the game." Just because terrorists do it doesn't mean it's right, in fact it's the opposite. We should not sink down to their level.

[11th April 2004]

It's all over now. The operation failed, JJ Franks escaped the building, as far as we know, but we don't have Firestorm. We don't even know where he is. We've spent two days preparing for this, trying to make this operation work and it didn't. We were up against the odds from the beginning. It's just so irritating that we got so close, we got him in, he got into the room containing Firestorm, but he didn't manage to send it back to us. Didn't manage, or chose not to. A bloody disaster on all accounts.

[13th April 2004.]

They found JJ Franks, or rather JJ Franks found Tom. We now have Firestorm under our protection, with JJ Franks given one and a half thousand pounds as well as not getting prosecuted for burglary. Even though we have now get Firestorm, this entire mission has been a failure. A senior intelligence officer took his work home, and it could have cost us all our jobs. It wasn't his fault, though, I suppose. Sometimes we make mistakes, we're only human. We all just need to be careful, particularly in our line of work.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2010, 02:31 PM
RE: Ruth's Diary - No.7
You know I was never even able to get around to reading this one? I like how you handle Ruth's outrage with the JJ situation. Also the whole 'JJ finding Tom' - LOL!

Especially given the circumstances under which this one was written, you did well Smile

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
22-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Ooh I really like how you've written Ruth's moral conflict with the 'clean skin' affair - nice one!

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Ruth standing up for Harry at the end - saying it wasn't his fault, how lovely !

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
22-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes very good. Ruth was a little angry with Harry to start with but seems to soften towards him at the end. maybe she realised that she had made a mistake and been forgiven by the team so perhaps Harry should be as well.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
22-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys Smile

(22-02-2010 02:31 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Especially given the circumstances under which this one was written, you did well Smile

You had to remind me, didn't you?!?! Tongue

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
23-02-2010, 01:17 AM
But it was funny!!

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
23-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Not for me!!!

23-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Circumstances aside (whatever they were), this was good almh --thanks.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
24-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Ignore JHyde's comment about circumstances :scowl: She lost brownie points for it Tongue Thank you very much though.