Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One by One we Fall
27-04-2010, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2010 05:45 PM by JHyde.)
One by One we Fall
Using the prompt for the fanfiction competition (not entering though for the main reason that I should be revising/working at the moment, so I can't see my mum being pleased if I did actually enter and she found out, and also because it's a very rough draft, written up in 20 minutes.)

Running through the bustling London market, he pushes past early morning shoppers. Merchants' shouts reverberate around the square, their offers ringing in his ears as he runs faster. The Russians are closing in; he sprints for all he is worth, knowing the commotion behind him is doubling as his Russian pursuers push the same path through the crowd. He runs down an alley and hides in an alcove, pulling his phone from his pocket. Young, healthy lungs are racked as he tries to draw breath and wipes the blood from the mobile's screen. He dials.

"Tom? It's Lucas, get me out of here NOW!".

"What's going on?" Tom asked, his voice as calm as normal.

"My contact's dead, I've got Russians incoming, they've followed me through the market," he murmured, his eyes darting round as he searched for any sign of a trail.

"His best route will be to go deeper into the alleys, go south," Connie said, her voice just audible. "He'll be able to have more flexibility with his route then."

"Tom and I will go pick Lucas up, get Special Branch there as well as back up," Harry added. Lucas felt the lump at the bottom of his stomach lessen slightly. He trusted Harry to get him out of this situation.

"Ok, Lucas, did you hear all of that?” Tom asked. “Go south, towards Victoria Street. We'll arrange transportation from outside Victoria Rail Station."

"Ok," he said quietly, quickly hanging up. He took a deep breath, and a careful look around the alleyway. The Russians wouldn’t be far away; he didn’t have long. He stepped out of the alcove. He walked briskly away, as fast as possible without drawing too much attention to himself.

-=-

“Connie, sort out back up from Special Branch. Malcolm, I want you to keep following Lucas’s signal, check out any possible available routes. Tom – with me,” Harry ordered, quickly grabbing his coat.

All followed orders without question or hesitation. There was a new sense of urgency on the Grid, one that only came when a colleague was in danger. Connie quietly walked away from everyone on the Grid, speaking to Special Branch. Her call ended, and she quickly looked around before making a new call.

“Yes?” the heavily accented voice asked.

“Transportation has been arranged for Victoria Rail Station, Harry and Tom have gone down. Special Branch has been arranged as back up, they’ll be about ten minutes.”

“Good. We shall intercept on route.” The call was ended abruptly, and Connie returned back to the main group, her face carefully masked.

“Special Branch is on their way. What do you want me to do?”

-=-

He was nearly there, and completely exhausted. Two more streets to negotiate, and then he’d be safe. He almost smiled to himself.

Suddenly, he tensed. He could hear footsteps behind him, not the normal footsteps of a typical Londoner, minding their own business, these were much heavier, much more purposeful, and more rushed. He didn’t need to look round to know that he was in trouble. Serious trouble.

The footsteps sped up, and it barely took him a moment to decide his next move. He chest already felt as though it was on fire, but he ran through the pain. He was nearly there, the station was in sight; he just had to keep running for a bit longer, just get out of this alley –

A car screeched to a halt in front of the alleyway. Salvation or damnation? He skidded to a halt, just as the side door of the van opened. For a second he held his breath, hoping it was Harry or Tom. Then he released it.

-=-

He had driven like a mad man throughout London, Tom’s white-knuckled hands that gripped his seat told him as much. The tires screeched loudly.

“He’s not here!” Harry said loudly.

“Malcolm, where is he?” Tom asked. Harry waited nervously. “Ok, on Carpenter Alley.” Harry suddenly put the car into gear, swerving into the midday traffic as he turned the car back round towards the alley. As he approached the destination he forced the car onto the edge of the pavement.

-=-

The face of the FSB’s head of station in London appeared out of the van. Terrified, he looked around for another escape route, a way out.

“Mr North. We’ve been expecting you.” For a moment he was tempted to laugh, it was an uncanny resemblance to a Bond villain. The laughter was quickly stifled, and replaced with pure terror. Unfriendly hands pushed him into the back of the van, as he tried not to control his breathing.

-=-

“Harry… Harry, the signal’s gone. He’s gone.” Harry whitened, not believing what he was hearing. He buried his head into his hands.

-=-

He was sat alone, in the dark, with only his thoughts for company. Harry would rescue him, he would, he wouldn’t leave him out in the cold. Every day, and every night, for the next eight years, he wondered why he hadn’t.

(p.s. Just realised the title reads OOF if you read the caps lock only. Sorry, that amused me.)

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 05:36 PM
RE: One by One we Fall
Great work almh, I liked that you put Harry into the action. Reading about him driving was certainly unexpected!

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I really enjoyed this almh. It's scary that you wrote something so good in 20 minutes Smile Loved the last 2 lines with Lucas wondering why Harry didn't save him.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
28-04-2010, 06:42 PM
wow, that's excellent, and all the more when you consider that you wrote it in the time it takes me to make coffee Big Grin
..any chance you follow up once your revision/work is done?

[Image: s9-sig.jpg]
28-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks Blush

After my exams, maybe Smile (Sadly you've got nearly 2 months to wait though - they end on the 15th June Sad )

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
28-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I can wait longer because it'll be worth it Big Grin
and I've got Mr. A's other projects (and my own) to tide me over.. and the football World Cup .. so take your time Big Grin

[Image: s9-sig.jpg]
28-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Great fic!
I second TB as i would love more as well Smile

LUCAS:They told me I could come home if I spied for them
HARRY:What did you say?
LUCAS:I said yes
28-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Well done Almh. I do shudder though when I read Connie's name. Good luck with all the exams. Smile

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
28-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Really nice fic almh. And poor Lucas, wondering where the hell Harry was! This is definitely worth coming back to when you have time.

Good luck with the exams.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
29-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the fic almh, it was great. Good luck with your exams !

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright