Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ruth's diary No. 18 (3.8)
01-06-2010, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2010 10:48 AM by Beatriz.)
Ruth Ruth's diary No. 18 (3.8)
Ruth's thoughts on 3.08 episode, so spoilers for this one.

Not a big entry this time as it isn't a big episode for Ruth. It isn't even mentioned on Harry's Diary Undecided

Thanks to JHyde Thhug

[18th May 2005]

Our new investigation deals with the kidnap of the baby son of a very well-known couple. Riff is a rock star and his wife B is a super model. It all happened last night when the couple were celebrating the knighthood bestowed upon him just yesterday. The kidnappers took advantage of the rowdy party scene at their house and scaled the wall then retreated, taking the baby with them.

I still can’t understand why we are running this investigation, it's a job for the police. Harry was so funny this morning. Danny asked him why on earth we were handling this and Harry replied that politics, like quantum physics, is incomprehensible. He confided later what I already knew, that we were passed the jhob so that when everything turns out well, Five gets great press.

If only it were always so. They never learn. do they?

Fiona's going in undercover. Several people unhappy with that, not least of all Adam.

There's also something else at play The Government Minister John Sylvester has called Harry to ask for help. (Apparently Harry owed him one.) He told Harry that he had 'accidentally' beaten up a woman he had on the side and had pictures on his phone of her that needed to be dealt with and that she was planning to kiss and tell with one of the rattiest tabloids going. You can imagine Harry's disgust. He passed it on to me and later in the afternoon, one of my acquaintances working at the Greater London Murder Squad sent me some photos of a crime scene. The girl had been more than 'accidentally' beaten up, for certain. She was Sylvester's girl.

Jen is an I.T. girl with whom I chat from time to time, she’s very nice. The thing is that she wants to work for GCHQ. I said I’ll put a word in for her if she sends along things from time to time, in this case passing along the pictures without her superiors knowing. Harry asked if there was any institution safe from me and I really liked to think not.

I can't fathom how Sylvester ended up how he has. Bright young man, future of the party, young family, everything to live for. And yet here he is, a murderer. His poor family, those children don't deserve what's about to happen.

Harry's dealing with him.

[23rd May 2005]

Sooner or later, the truth always comes to light. The police found the dead body of the baby in a shallow grave just a few yards away from Riff and B’s house. B finally confessed to Fiona under all the pressure. It turns out she had planned the kidnapping for the sake of publicity as her husband’s music career was languishing and hers as a model wasn’t at its best either. She contacted Rudolphino Ponti, who runs a heroin trail as well as being Riff’s former road manager and made an arrangement. Endless publicity and Ponti kept three hundred grand of the ransom.

It couldn’t have ended worse, Riff wasn’t involved so after he learned what actually happened, he stabbed Ponti and B and then shot himself in the head. It all went down in ‘The Hole’, the bar where he started out as chance would have it. The press headlines ran with the fabricated story that Riff and B killed themselves in a suicide pact after losing their baby. Ponti managed to survive his wounds and is a critical but stable condition. We'll be passing him onto Section Q once he recovers.

On the other hand, we're sure Mace intercepted Sylvester's letter to the PM as Sylvester made a big show of stepping down from parliament, offering the old herring of 'spending time with his young family'. It was all obviously timed so that it was buried under the Riff and B rubbish.

Adam and Harry couldn’t let this go, so Adam did a deal with the editor of the same sort of tatty mag that the girl planned to sell her story to. He handed over pictures and other evidence that would damn Sylvester at a date still to be decided. Possibly around election time, although that's some time off now.

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
RE: Ruth's diary No. 18 (3.8)
Great entry, Beatriz. Liked her wondering how Sylvester had come to murdering someone and her sadness for his poor family who will all suffer greatly.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice one Beatriz. No it wasnt a big episode for Ruth but you made a good go at the entry. Not sure I like Ruth writing about Mace in her diary though. Sends shivers down my spine. Smile

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Good entry Bea. Loved the line "Harry's dealing with him" -- simple, but says so much!

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Good entry. Ruth has such faith in Harry's abilities at this stage, doesn't she?

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]