Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Theory on recent events on Spooks
15-11-2009, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2009 04:20 AM by Nitrus.)
Theory on recent events on Spooks
it is really a subversive action by the writers!

Everytime a character is killed off interest in, and applications for, the Security Services drops, and when a female character dies it puts women off applying. So my theory is this:

The writers are actually wanting to reduce the numbers of people applying to reduce the number of spies and so they kill off characters to make it seem an unattractive career option. Wink

Of course it wouldn't work for me if I truly thought MI5 officers all looked like Adam or Lucas... or I was a British Citizen Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2009, 04:05 AM
RE: Theory on the why so many have died recently...
Entertaining theory, but I suppose it's probably more that deaths mean ratings and ratings mean the show continues.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2009, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2009 04:31 AM by Nitrus.)
RE: Theory on recent events on Spooks
I have amended the thread title so it does not reveal potential spoilers. This thread demands the use of spoiler tags as per our forum policy.

As for the theory, I have to agree with bertowud, which is an all together more plausible theory.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
15-11-2009, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2009 04:29 AM by Nitrus.)
RE: Theory on the why so many have died recently...
Yes, Bertowud I agree with you. In theory: crank up the departures: deaths = ratings....but it's a very fine line we are talking about here. If the writers 'bump off' too many well loved characters AND not come up with interesting replacements they may well over play their hand and go down the tube anyway. I guess that is the BIG challenge for the writers: to be able to accommodate the actors schedules, retain ratings and create timely exits where appropriate.
Spoiler: show
One of the reasons that Ruth's exit worked so well for me was that she didn't actually die; and there was always hope that she might return, as she has. I even 'hoped' that this might happen in [spoiler] Zaf's case.
Don't think it's going to happen though.[/spoiler]
15-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Margaret - I have edited your post because you didn't put spoiler tags about
Spoiler: show
Ruth's exit
which is still a spoiler!

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
15-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Sorry, Nitrus: that was my first attempt at using spoilers. I haven't quite got the hang of it. Thought I did it properly. Just as well you are there to back up the people who are not all that 'tech savvy'.
15-11-2009, 04:53 AM
(15-11-2009 04:22 AM)Nitrus Wrote:  I have amended the thread title so it does not reveal potential spoilers. This thread demands the use of spoiler tags as per our forum policy.

As for the theory, I have to agree with bertowud, which is an all together more plausible theory.

thanks, my apologies, I certainly didn't mean the title to provide spoilers

I agree bertowud is correct... I did pose my theory with tongue firmly in cheek. Smile