Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ruth's Diary - No. 2 (2.2)
16-01-2010, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2010 02:25 PM by JHyde.)
Ros Ruth's Diary - No. 2 (2.2)
And so it continues! This follows on, continuing Ruth's perspective on the events of 2.2.

Although I've posted both threads, almh and I wrote these together.

We'd love to hear your impressions and suggestions. almh is busy prepping for exams and I'm writing this after one of the longest weekends on record. So encouragement and ideas are always appreciated.

4th September 2003

My first day at Five, in Section D. I was so frightened of being there under slightly false pretences that I managed to make a complete fool of myself by dropping everything all over the place and breaking a desk lamp. So tomorrow I plan to get through a day without breaking anything or falling over.

My boss is a stoic, wisecracking man called Harry Pearce. I understand he's very well regarded by his peers and by his team. He made the silliest joke just after I walked in, and by the way other team members looked at him, such an open display of humour is not a common occurence. Interesting man, and he seems pleased with me, at least on a personal level after my first day.

The morning briefing focused on a mullah in Birmingham, a man called Mohammed Rashid. The section was alerted thanks to a tip-off from the Americans, and it seems that Rashid is organizing suicide bombers amongst the young boys in his mosque and youth centre. An asset called it a 'Nest of Angels' - extraordinary phrase. And a frightening prospect.

But then it was my turn to make a silly joke - "Bugger the Home Office." I mean, really - what was I thinking? I suppose it wasn't all bad though - if it makes them think I'm on their side it will be worth it. That's not to say I don't feel that way - but I might usually be more circumspect in expressing such an opinion.

5th September 2003

My second day has been fascinating. I was excited to find evidence of an Algerian named Ibn Khaldun within the database and server of DGSE [the French national security service] and was then able to pick him up on CCTV as a walk-in at Scotland Yard. Harry seemed pleased about that, and almost surprised at my hacking abilities. He has this habit of staring intently at whomever is speaking to him, it can be quite disconcerting.

In any case, getting Khaldun was a big win. He can help us with the Rashid situation and will be an invaluable asset. I did better today, I know it.

7th September 2003

Khaldun has infiltrated the mosque in Birmingham, with the aim of preventing attacks and gathering evidence on Rashid. Harry, in particular, is very impressed with him and Zoe said he is a wonderful combination of intellect, humour and cunning. The perfect spy, by all accounts. He sounds rather like my old Greek professor, only a little more brutal in approach, but that's just cultural differences. I am sure he was an amazing teacher. He could certainly be a superb asset for Five, and particularly Section D.

13 September 2003

Until this morning I haven't been able to write. I'm still learning the ropes and the Khaldun/Rashid operation in Birmingham didn't have a conclusion until yesterday. A tragic conclusion.

We prevented the main event. Rashid was arrested on false pretences and explosives found that will ensure due punishment. But there was a boy sent out wearing a vest rigged with explosives; he went to detonate it in a playground filled with children. Khaldun tried to talk him down and the boy eventually blew himself and Khaldun up with it. Such waste, and not simply of an asset.

I was wrong to compare Khaldun to my professor. That way danger lies. I mustn't think too much of them as being like people I know. It will only make this harder.

I can't help wondering what would have happened to that boy if Khaldun HAD talked him down. What would have happened to him? He was only 16, but he probably would have spent most of his life in prison; at the very least under surveillance. I doubt very much he would have been given a second chance, and truthfully I don't know whether he should have had one. But I recognize Khaldun's great compassion in trying to save him. That was real bravery. Zoe and Danny said it was heartbreaking.

I'm scrawling this entry whilst on an almost empty bus very early on a Saturday morning on my way back into work. There are some changes I want to make to how information is filtered through from GCHQ and the IT boys have promised to help for an hour or two before lunch. There are a couple of girls laughing and giggling up the front of the bus - obviously on their way home from a big night out. A mother and children out for a walk, arguing about something. Two lovers kissing on the corner. The busdriver cursing the red light and the tank of a car that cut him off. There are people all around me, and these are the people my work is helping to save. I am doing something worthwhile so when sad things happen on an operation, I mustn't forget that this is what it is all in aid of. Always.

Although thinking about all these people around me reminds me that I need to find somewhere secure to hide this diary. I do need to be more mindful of security now. But at least there hasn't been any reason to contact Downing St or Cheltenham. Roke did leave a message on my answering machine though, so I anticipate an unpleasant conversation at some point this weekend. She's a formidable bully of a woman, and I don't mind admitting that I'm frightened of her. (Although it is just in a diary.) There's something about political operatives that makes them a bit of an unknown quantity. Too many conflicting agendas.

Next week: Ruth cracks the real reasons behind 2.3's terror plot.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2010, 04:26 PM
RE: Ruth's Diary - Entry 2
Really good. I liked the way Harry seemed to have made an impression on Ruth in her first days, to warrant the entries in her diary. Also liked the scene on the bus. Those people on there had no idea what she was doing and having to go through, to protect them.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
16-01-2010, 05:40 PM
You guys have Ruth down well - I can believe she would've written those things. Just one continuity point - Ruth made that 'bugger the Home Office' comment during that first briefing on her first day, in the same scene where Harry made that terrible joke.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
16-01-2010, 10:24 PM
You really do capture her voice in these entries. I can imagine her reading them out and the choice of words are very her. I also like the fact that Harry seems to be important from the start. Nice choice. Big Grin

Codename Kirayuki: Vid Maker. H/R & Ruth fan.
[Image: Thatsyou98sigwithtext.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2010, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2010 09:11 AM by JHyde.)
Thanks Silktie - I was cutting and pasting while posting here and didn't manage the final edit - it has been a VERY long weekend. I've popped it back where it was meant to be.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
17-01-2010, 10:17 AM
You did a great job girls!!! Wink

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
18-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Very well done, I think I prefer this entry because it's really where her & Section D become one and the storylines really start to entwine.

You've nailed the integration with the Spooks storylines.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Yes, great job, thus far. Looking forward to getting hints re H&R relationship!

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."