Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MI-5 in the U.S.
13-05-2010, 07:11 PM
MI-5 in the U.S.
I am new to the forum but wonder if anyone knows why MI-5/Spooks does not show regularly in the U.S. I can never find it on a regular channel at a regular time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2010, 07:38 PM
RE: MI-5 in the U.S.
Hi redCHOCHO! I pretty new here too but also from the States. There are others who have been kicking around much longer than I but since I'm not the shy type, I will jump in and say that there is no regular TV airing schedule for Spooks. Just like a spook to remain undercover! BBC America and A&E tried but gave up due to low ratings - or so they would like us to believe. I myself have been at the mercy of my local PBS station up through series 6 but sadly not beyond. And I'm one of the lucky ones. You can purchase the DVDs or rent from NETflix - both of which will help fund Spooks into future series I hope. We do have to work somewhat harder to analyze the data and follow the right leads!

Berto? lwhite53? Others?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
13-05-2010, 09:31 PM
A&E started airing the series in the US in 2002 or so and aired up through season 4, but they cut 10 mins or so from each ep for commercials which really made them difficult to understand. Then PBS bought the series and aired each ep in its entirety but individual affiliates had the option to air the series or not. Since the later seasons are not terribly complimentary toward the US and US policy, a lot chose not to. I think the combination of the anti-US sentiment, the spotty airing and the late night time slot has doomed spooks in the US.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
14-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks...I thought maybe it was just a local tv thing. Our PBS has only shown 2 or 3 seasons but I did not realize it until about 3 months ago...bummer! I, did, however, buy or rent the other seasons. I LOVE this show! I can't wait for season 9 but have to wait for the DVDs. Not sure how long after the season they sell them.
14-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Season 7 became available in the US (region 1 format) at the end of January 2010, so that's about 1 year after being initially aired on BBC.

harry
"What is the truth?"
14-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Another US viewer. I caught in on PBS a few times, purely by accident, in sort of a vague "wasn't that the one show I watched?" sort of way. But the superb acting, and bravery in storytelling, finally caught me. Thank goodness for Netflix and youtube! Too bad it never caught on here, but it doesn't surprise me. The underlying background cultural and political shorthand -- i.e., who is the home secretary, and what does he do? Where is that city? Why is everyone wearing poppies?-- requires some catching up. The drama translates easily, but not always the subtlties. Still, it is the only show I'm following!
15-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Apparently It can't be called spooks for some racist reason.

REMOVED FOR VIOLATING SIG/AV GUIDELINES.
15-05-2010, 12:54 AM
The subtleties definitely require some extra thought when watching. I think I am finally getting the hang of British English. There are still some things I can't quite understand. I googled home secretary...... I think it is a cross between our Sec'y of State and Secretary of Homeland Security. That may be totally wrong. It is a great show. I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a long time. I hope Season 9 is not horribly anti-American though. Season 8 was not so good to the cousins!
15-05-2010, 12:55 AM
In the US "spook" is a slang term for a black person, or so I'm led to believe.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2010, 01:33 AM
(15-05-2010 12:55 AM)Nitrus Wrote:  In the US "spook" is a slang term for a black person, or so I'm led to believe.

That's correct -- "spook" is a negative term for a black person is the US. A&E required the name to be changed to MI5 before they would buy the series. They were afraid of the potential negative publicity the original title might bring.

harry
"What is the truth?"